Goals and Objectives - 2023 Biennium
Division Mission: To protect Montana citizens by regulating state-chartered and licensed financial institutions under its supervision.
Goal: Protect Montanans who enter into consumer and residential mortgage loans with non-depository lenders from abuses that may occur in the credit marketplace.
- Examine non-depository lenders, brokers and servicers to ensure compliance with Montana and federal law.
- Issue licenses to non-depository entities and individuals who meet the requirements of law.
- Continue to provide Montana citizens with an efficient and effective consumer complaint process involving any licensed entity that violates the law.
- Consider what role the Division should have in financial condition exams and enforcement in the non-depository space - primarily servicers.
Goal: Raise the regulator standards for financial services regulation in Montana.
- Maintain mortgage accreditation from CSBS/AARMR.
- Provide Montanans with an updated regulatory framework that allows for licensing, chartering and examination of financial service providers not currently supervised by the Division.
Goal: Provide Montana citizens with a safe and sound system of state-chartered financial institutions.
- Examine state-chartered financial institutions to assure their operations are in accordance with law and sound financial practices.
- Coordinate the supervision of financial institutions with federal regulatory agencies.
- Perform offsite monitoring of depository institutions between regulatory examinations to ensure emerging risks are identified and addressed in a timely manner.
- Continue to provide Montanans with an efficient and effective consumer complaint process involving any licensed entity that violates the law.
Goal: Promote the dual regulatory system that allows state and federal governments to act independently to charter, regulate, and supervise financial institutions for the good of Montanans.
- Address the needs of banks and credit unions, local communities, and Montanans while assuring safe and sound banking practices.
- Authorize state-chartered banks and state-chartered credit unions to engage in authorized activities in which the bank or credit union could engage if it were operating as a national bank or federal credit union as provided by law.
- Modernize the Montana Bank Act.
Goal: Improve the distribution of information and services through web-based tools.
- Use the website www.banking.mt.gov to more efficiently distribute press releases, consumer alerts, names of regulated financial institutions, and forms.
- Continue to provide electronic information, forms, or documents to financial institutions and consumers whenever possible.
- Promote Montana financial education efforts, available resources, and current issues.
- Expand supervision tools to allow Division management access to more timely data (goal of real time data).
Goal: Create and maintain a highly qualified, professional, diverse, and responsive workforce.
- Promote professional growth and development opportunities through improved employee recruitment, selection, retention, and training.
- Provide basic training and continuing professional education to develop and maintain employees' knowledge and skills.
- Maintain effective career ladders and offer competitive salaries to recruit and retain experienced, capable staff.
- Expand the use of offsite examination tools for depository examinations in order to reduce examiner travel (retention strategy) and examination travel costs.
- Find a solution to our remote internet data needs.
- Make a smooth transition to Filenet.
- Improve accessibility to our website content and make the mobile view better.