Division of Banking & Financial Institutions
About the Division
- Contact Information
- Mission, Goals, and Objectives
- Press Releases and Newsletters
- Employment Opportunities
- Banks and Trust Companies
- Credit Unions
- Mortgage Brokers, Mortgage Lenders, and Mortgage Loan Originators
- Mortgage Loan Servicers
- Consumer Loan Companies
- Sales Finance Companies ("Retail Installment Sales Contracts")
- Deferred Deposit Lenders ("Payday Lenders")
- Title Lenders
- Escrow Businesses
- Business and Industrial Development Corporations (BIDCO)
- Montana Foreign Capital Depositories
The Montana $aves $cavenger Hunt is for Montana students between the ages of 14 and 19 who are interested in the benefits of saving. With their successful completion of the Montana $aves $cavenger Hunt they will become eligible for drawing for one of 31 cash drawingss of $100 during America Saves week February 24 – March 1, 2014. These cash drawings are available to Montana students courtesy of The First Interstate BancSystem Foundation and Montana Credit Unions for Community Development. Students must complete the activities between November 15, 2013 and February 15, 2014.
Mortgage Licensee Alert
- The Montana Division of Banking and Financial Institutions is adopting the National SAFE MLO Test Component with uniform state content effective July 1, 2013. Montana is the 30th state agency that will no longer require a second state-specific test component to be taken by mortgage loan originators (MLOs) seeking licensure with their state agencies. See Uniform State Test Implementation Information
Debit Card "Phishing" - Consumers beware of automated "robo" calls to your phones which may state that your debit card has been de-activated. The call may prompt you to enter your debit card number to re-activate the card. Consumers should never respond to these types of calls. If you have any concerns contact your bank or credit union directly and report this possible fraud. For more information about "phishing."
Hamilton PD issues scam warning -- The Hamilton Police Department is looking...
- Merchant Surcharging – Understanding Payment Card Changes -- Prior to January 27, 2013 VISA/MasterCard rules prohibited merchants from adding a surcharge to a consumer’s purchase or transaction to cover costs incurred by the merchant when a consumer uses a credit card to make a purchase. Due to a settlement between merchants, Visa and MasterCard, a surcharge is now permitted. For more information
Jamaican Lottery Scam targeting seniors. Click link for more information. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57573750/inside-the-jamaican-lottery-scam-how-u.s-seniors-become-targets/
- New Variation on Telephone Collection Scam Related to Delinquent Payday Loans - 02/21/2012 IC3 Consumer Alert
- Who's Calling? That Debt Collector Could Be a Fake - 02/2012 FTC Consumer Alert
- Court Halts Alleged Fake Debt Collector Calls - 02/21/2012 FTC Press Release
- OCC Releases Public Service Ads About the Independent Foreclosure Review - 01/04/2012 OCC Consumer Alert
- Montana Attorney General's Office Warns of New "Smishing" Scams - 10/27/2011 MT AG Consumer Alert - Video available on KLUR8-Billings website
- Idaho Department of Finance Warns of Mortgage Modification Scams Targeting Spanish Speaking Idahoans - 08/30/2011 Idaho Consumer Alert
- Protect Yourself - Investigate Your Mortgage Broker by Morgan Brennan of Forbes
Consumer Alerts, Press Releases & News
This is a compliance reminder pertaining to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) final rule that requires non-bank residential mortgage lenders and mortgage originators to establish anti-money laundering (AML) policies and to file suspicious
Mortgage Servicer Licensing Required October 1, 2011
The Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) this week announced that the Montana Division of Banking and Financial Institutions has received its second consecutive accreditation.
Press Release concerning unlicensed Internet lenders.
Annie Goodwin, Commissioner of Banking and Financial Institutions, today announced that, starting January 4, 2010, the Montana Division of Banking and Financial Institutions will begin participation in the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System.